Playgroups are set up and run by parents and caregivers, with children choosing from a range of activities set up to meet their varying needs. Activities at playgroup are either free or low cost, and may include:
- Music and singing
- Imaginative play
- Outdoor and free play
- Art and craft activities
In a playgroup, parents & caregivers stay to interact with the other adults & to play with the children.
No child is too young for playgroup. All children from 0-5 years, including babies, love new experiences and benefit from developing sensory, social and communication skills through activities at playgroup.
Children like playgroup because they can:
- Participate in new experiences
- Develop and increase their social skills
- Learn sharing, co-operation and simple routines
- Interact with other adults and children in a safe environment
- Enjoy learning more about their world
- Adults also benefit from playgroup - a time to talk, make friends and share experiences, while children learn through their play experiences.
Adults like playgroup because they can:
- Meet other local families and develop new friendships
- Relax and talk in a friendly environment
- Share experiences and ideas
- Play with children and nurture a spirit of co-operation
- Take up opportunities for personal development